Lyme transmitted thru saliva??? (2022)

Support Forums

Lyme Disease

✚ New Topic✚ Reply

❬ ❬ Previous Thread|Next Thread ❭ ❭

Lyme transmitted thru saliva??? (1)

Motoxchic00

New Member

Joined : Sep 2009

Posts : 14

Posted 1/15/2010 8:01 PM (GMT -7)

My brother has been dealing with lyme for over 6m now (at least since he has known). After seeing an LLMD in the Bay Area, he was urged, to our sur prise) to have his family tested as this dr has seen it transmitted this way. Well his 3 yr old son has tested poitive for it (on an EDT test, which also diagnosed my brother before going to Igenex), but that dr said it is at a dormant stage.

Has anyone heard of this? His daughter tested neg and his wife is getting tested next week. If she has it, there is supposedly a possibility the 3 yr old got it from birth.

Lyme transmitted thru saliva??? (2)

nasalady

Veteran Member

Joined : Sep 2009

Posts : 1176

Posted 1/15/2010 8:18 PM (GMT -7)

Hi Motoxchic00,

There is a very good LLMD in Northern CA....please send me email and I will be glad to provide you with the details (click on my name for info in my profile).

JoAnn

Lyme transmitted thru saliva??? (3)

kwicherbichen

New Member

Joined : Jan 2010

Posts : 10

Posted 1/15/2010 9:48 PM (GMT -7)

That is weird that someone is posing this question. My husband and I are wondering if it is sexually transmitted. I have clinical dx Lyme, that has been mostly in a dormant stagefor 10 years (classic bulllseye rashin 1999) I have been having mostly neurological symptoms and cognitive as well. My symptoms came out after I rec'd the H1n1 vaccine, same with my 17 month old, she is exhibiting symptoms as well. So it seems to me that I gave it to her. Once I get my tests back, we will be having our whole family done. What an epidemic if it can be transmitted this way. Might explain a lot of illnesses that people are completey mystified by. Autism to say one.

All the best.

Lyme transmitted thru saliva??? (4)

Razzle

Veteran Member

Joined : Aug 2007

Posts : 4415

Posted 1/15/2010 10:43 PM (GMT -7)

We know Lyme is transmitted through the saliva of the tick...
And there are other vector insects that may transmit Lyme (fleas, biting flies, mosquitos, spiders, fire ants, etc...)
We also know Lyme can be transmitted across the placenta to the unborn child...
And there are cases of Lyme being transmitted through breastmilk to a nursing infant...
We also suspect Lyme can be transmitted sexually...(think of Lyme's cousin Syphilis)

Lyme transmitted thru saliva??? (5)

JennInPA

Regular Member

Joined : Sep 2009

Posts : 228

Posted 1/17/2010 6:55 PM (GMT -7)

kwicherbichen- what are the signs your 17 month old is showing? I have a 20 month old, who I also breastfed. We tested him and he was negative, but we all know you can't trust tests. I'm just wondering what signs they show at this age?

Also - my LLMD believes everything Razzle stated above.

Lyme transmitted thru saliva??? (6)

Motoxchic00

New Member

Joined : Sep 2009

Posts : 14

Posted 1/20/2010 4:18 PM (GMT -7)

Well, thank God, his wife tested negative. So now the dr is thinking that my brother AND his 3 yr old both got bit. Not sure what the odds are of him getting bit, over him getting it from my brothers saliva?

Lyme transmitted thru saliva??? (7)

Motoxchic00

New Member

Joined : Sep 2009

Posts : 14

Posted 1/20/2010 4:18 PM (GMT -7)

Lyme transmitted thru saliva??? (8)

Dagger

Veteran Member

Joined : Apr 2008

Posts : 1522

Posted 1/20/2010 4:34 PM (GMT -7)

The tests aren't very reliable so your brother's wife could still have Lyme. Does she have any symptoms?

I think it is more likely that your nephew got Lyme from his mom or from a tick bite than from saliva. Does your nephew have any symptoms? I know it might be hard to tell with a three year old, they don't always know when things aren't normal.

I hope your brother and his family get the help they need.

Posted 1/20/2010 5:22 PM (GMT -7)

It's sobering to consider the possibilities if infection can be transmitted from human to human via saliva, blood, and/or intimate contact. I have been grateful that I never relented when the Red Cross was badgering me to donate blood (while I was being treated for anemia, of all things). I do not want to have that on my conscience, however inadvertant it would have been. I think about my late husband; I'vebecome convinced he had Lyme. Until recently I never took the thought further, but now wonder, considering that he was living on blood transfusions. if that is how he got it. I've wondered how I got Lyme and these coinfections. Maybe they were in me, dormant, from childhood when I lived in Maryland. But I've only been sick since meeting my late husband, and have lately begun to wonder if that is how I became infected. I am dismayed when I read reports about how important it is to be treated immediately after a tick bite because I suspect, for many of us, a tick bite was never detected, and maybe never even happened. Lyme and coinfections will not always be enshrouded in controveresy. A day will come when the evidence will point unarguably one way or another. I just hope that happens before a lot more of us become sick and, perish the thought, perhaps infect others.

Rose

Lyme transmitted thru saliva??? (10)

Razzle

Veteran Member

Joined : Aug 2007

Posts : 4415

Posted 1/20/2010 5:38 PM (GMT -7)

Yeah, and many blood banks do not even bother to test for Lyme since the CDC claims it is "hart to catch, easy to cure" and "isn't a problem in areas other than the endemic areas of parts of the Northeast and Upper Mid-West." This is from someone who works at a blood bank near where I live (which is not in one of the two CDC-defined "endemic" areas).

I've even heard of Lyme being possible to transmit through contaminated food, but I don't know how realistic that is...scary thought, though...

Lyme transmitted thru saliva??? (11)

kwicherbichen

New Member

Joined : Jan 2010

Posts : 10

Posted 1/20/2010 7:51 PM (GMT -7)

Hi JennInPA

My daughter grabs at her arm, and then touches her fingers to her thumb...and then looks at me and says owe. Then the next minute she is fine. Now she is holding her leg sometimes, cries...and then sometimes trips over it. I can't put her down sometimes, so I think her leg must hurt.

sorry to hear about your child, it will be nice to know what the causes are...

Lyme transmitted thru saliva??? (12)

Motoxchic00

New Member

Joined : Sep 2009

Posts : 14

Posted 1/20/2010 9:38 PM (GMT -7)

Dagger - are you familiar with the EDT testing machine? All i know, is it was able diagnosed my brother when NO one could and my nephew has been complaining of knee and back pain...sister in law has had no sxs. Just recommended to get tested from the LLMD.

Lyme transmitted thru saliva??? (13)

bablymers

Veteran Member

Joined : Oct 2006

Posts : 1458

Posted 1/21/2010 2:07 AM (GMT -7)

Hi JennIn PA,

Some other symptoms in children can be: frequent complaints of "growing pains", joint and muscle pain, headaches, ADD, ADHD, recurrent unexplained fevers, unexplained vomiting episodes, abnormal sleep cycle (too much or not enough sleep), fatigue, recurrent infections, and complaints of random pain or sensations moving around to different parts of the body. There are other signs and symptoms but I can't recall them right now.

Best wishes, bablymers mom